KASTROULI 2018 ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATION SEASON ONGOING…
This is the third year that the archaeological and archaeometric research of the LM IIIB-C and later phases prehistoric settlement of Kastrouli Desphina (Delphi) which is successfully conducted, with significant finds in this year too.
The scientific coordinator of the Project by the University of Aegean and director of archaeometric research is Prof. Ioannis Lirintzis and the Director of Archaeological Research, Dr. Ath. Sideris. Also, co-PI are Associate Professors Andrew Koh from the University of Brandeis, Massachusetts, with whom the Department of Mediterranean Studies has signed a collaboration protocol (MOU), and Kate Birney from Wesleyan University, USA, together with staff from Brandeis Ian Roy photography-Robotics expert.
Below are some snapshots of the current activity including excavation research, high-resolution photographs with different types of drones, portable photogrammetry and photography with structured light, preservation of the finds by conservationists Dr C.Karydis and Mrs M.Panagopoulou, on site at the processing station……
Desfina 18 July 2018
Writing Excavation Reports & Publications:
1) Liritzis, I, Zhengyao Jin, Anchuan Fan, Sideris.A, Drivaliari,A (2016) Late Helladic and later reuse phases of Kastrouli settlement (Greece): preliminary dating results Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 16 No 3, pp. 245-250.
2) Sideris, A, Ioannis Liritzis, Βrady Liss, Matthew D. Howland, Thomas E. Levy (2017) At-risk cultural heritage: new excavations and finds from the Mycenaean site of Kastrouli, Phokis, Greece Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 17, No 1, (2017), pp. 271-285
3) Thomas E. Levy, T. Sideris, M. Howland, B. Liss, G. Tsokas, A. Stambolidis, E. Fikos, G. Vargemezis, P. Tsourlos, A. Georgopoulos, G. Papatheodorou, M. Garaga, D. Christodoulou, R. Norris, I. Rivera-Collazo, and I. Liritzis (2018) At- Risk World Heritage, Cyber, and Marine Archaeology: The Kastrouli–Antikyra Bay Land and Sea Project, Phokis, Greece , Springer International Publishing AG In T.E. Levy, I.W.N. Jones (eds.), Cyber-Archaeology and Grand Narratives, One World Archaeology, 143-230 (DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-65693-9_9)
4) Ioannis Liritzis, George S. Polymeris, Asimina Vafiadou, Athanasios Sideris, Thomas E. Levy (2018) Luminescence dating of stone wall, tomb and ceramics of Kastrouli (Phokis, Greece) Late Helladic settlement: case study. Journal of Cultural Heritage. Vol. 35, pp.76-85
5) Sideris, A, Liritzis, I (2018) The Mycenaean site of Kastrouli, Phokis, Greece: second excavation season, July 2017. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, Vol. 18, No 3, pp. 209-224
6) Kontopoulos, Ι, Kirsty Penkman, Ioannis Liritzis, Matthew J. Collins (2019) Bone diagenesis in a Mycenaean secondary burial (Kastrouli, Greece) Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences (published online, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12520-019-00853-0).
7) Bratitsi M., Liritzis I., Vafiadou A., Xanthopoulou V., Palamara E., Iliopoulos I., Zacharias, N. (2018) Critical assessment of chromatic index in archaeological ceramics by Munsell and RGB: novel contribution to characterization and provenance studies. Mediterranean Archaeology & Archaeometry, Vol.18, No.2, 175-212, DOI: 10.5281/zenodo.1297163
8) Baziotis, I, Xydous, S, Manimanaki, S, Liritzis, I (2020) An integrated method for ceramic characterization: A case study from the newly excavated Kastrouli site (Late Helladic) Journal of Cultural Heritage 42, 274–279
9) Liritzis, I, Xanthopoulou, V,Palamara, E, Papageorgiou, I, Iliopoulos, I, Zacharias, N, Vafiadou, A, Karydas A.G (2020) Characterization and provenance of ceramic artifacts and local clays from late Mycenaean Kastrouli (Greece) by means of P-XRF screening and statistical analysis. Journal of Cultural Heritage (in press).
10) Κontopoulos, Liritzis et al 2020) Screening archaeological bone for palaeogenetic and palaeoproteomic studies. PLOS-ONE (in press)